Friday, October 10, 2008

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Released: 2008
Platform: PS3
Genre: Melodramaic movie











Somewhere out in there in the world of metaphorical pretentiousness, there is a line. It’s invisible. I’m not sure where it’s located. I’m not even sure where the point where you cross it is. I am sure of one thing though, Metal Gear Solid 4 crosses that line. Hideo Kojima has always been known to be a man to pursue his own unique and ambitious vision. Following in the tradition of his keen sense of Irony, Kojima studios has crafted a game that plays fantastically compared to any of the previous games in the series and any other game on the market, yet he seems to make a conscious effort to make sure you get to actually play the game as little as possible.
With a variety of ways to dispatch the enemies and a sharp interface to customize your weapons, decimating countless grunts is profoundly enjoyable. However, each time you find yourself getting the hang of the level and the gadgets, the game decides that you’ve become dangerously close to having too much fun and decides to throw a half hour stream of cutscene or boss battle at you. The boss battles are well done, but don’t give nearly the sense of freedom that the levels do. In the end, the game is probably about 70-80% cutscenes or boss battles.




This game has alright graphics



Metal Gear Solid 4 is an incredibly impressive mix of cinematic gameplay and storytelling, for maybe two hours. For the other 15 hours, there is a very obvious disconnect between the gameplay and storytelling, because it’s impossible to keep you engaged in playing a game consistently when most cutscenes run for at least ten minutes, and many run much, much longer. I’m very happy I got to play MGS4, I care about the story of metal gear and the game wraps it up nicely. There are also parts of the gameplay that are nothing short of incredible. However, it also demonstrates one of the problems with a game being created by an auteur. Nobody on the dev team has the balls to go up to Kojima and say “hey Hideo, we’ve made a stellar game here and I just think that maybe people would rather play it than watch a half hour cutscene about how computer viruses work”. Well, if anyone did say that, they should promote that guy. Also, fire the guy who decided to have Octacon preach the wonders of Blu-Ray in the middle of the game.

4 comments:

Tawd said...

I have to agree. I was astounded at the graphics and the smooth traversing of the MGS4 world, but the cut scenes, as you know, were somewhat irritating, and basically threw an office chair (with one missing wheel) under the feet of the players momentum. I realize that some will appreciate the end story being well tied up, but really....I think the last hour of blah blah could have been easily condensed into a lucid and poignant 15 minutes. I enjoyed the game tho, as an observer. the company was great, and much fun was had by all.

Wootex said...

I definitely agree with you Tawd, though I did very much enjoy the game, I was happy to have you there to make snarky comments with me during the cutscenes that went far past the line of pithiness (pithiness).

Nick said...

I haven't played this yet, but I was scared of this. I had a feeling there would be a disconnect. To me, the military action style and the Asian influenced storytelling, is like a peanut butter and mustard sandwich.

Anonymous said...

This game... excuse me.. "interactive movie film" was good by Metal Gear standards... but I didn't pay $65 just to watch a movie...even though it's kind of good...I don't know anymore...